Saturday 2 February 2013

Slow-cooked Goulash

High praise indeed from DH last night when I served this...it will definitely be going on my "Keep" list!  I know traditional goulash is usually made with pork but I have always used beef in mine so it was a nice change to use pork this time (plus the steaks were on offer in Tesco this week!)



Ingredients
6 pork chops / 1.5lb diced pork
1 red pepper, diced into large pieces
1 large onion, peeled & chopped
5/6 large mushrooms, diced into large pieces
2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp caraway seeds
1 can chopped tomatoes
450ml vegetable stock, hot
2 tbsp soured cream

Method
If using pork chops, trim off any rind / fat and chop into pieces.  

Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the onion & pork, until browned.  Add the spices, red pepper and mushrooms and cook for just a minute.  Mix in the tinned tomatoes and bring to the boil.

Transfer everything to the slow cooker (which should be on Low) and add the stock, stirring well.  

Pop on the lid and cook for around 10 hours (I did mine for over 12 hours and it was fine).

Stir in the soured cream and serve.  I'm a bit sick of rice at the moment so we ate it with new potatoes and broccoli...delicious!


1 comment:

Mediocre Mum said...

Looks amazing. Going to try it soon. Think I have some Pork in the freezer. Thank you.