Thursday 17 January 2013

Seafood Pilaf

I made this for DH & I last night, and it went down well.  It was from a Waitrose recipe card but I adapted it slightly to make it easier!  Little Miss Fussy Pants would no doubt turn her nose up at it but would give it to DS if I made it again - it wasn't too spicy.



Ingredients (serves 2)
Half butternut squash, peeled & cubed
1 tbsp harissa paste (but some random spice paste would work just as well)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic
150g basmati & wild rice
250-300ml fish stock
200g frozen seafood (I used the Fruits de Mer mixture but you could equally just use prawns)
Grated zest & juice of 1/2 lemon

Method
Toss the cubed butternut in 1 tbsp olive oil and the spice paste.  Roast at 200 for 25 mins.

While it's cooking, heat the other tbsp of olive oil in a sauce pan and add the garlic.  Cook for 1 min then add the rice and stir well so it gets coated in the oil.  Add the stock to the pan, bring to the boil and cover - simmer for 15 mins, ensuring you don't let it boil dry.  (I ended up adding another 50 ml of water to avoid this, making my total up to 300ml).  

Add the seafood, stir well and replace the lid.  Leave to cook through for 10 mins, stirring to ensure it doesn't stick.  Remove the butternut squash from the oven and stir the rice & seafood mix into the roasting dish.  Squeeze over the lemon juice, throw in the zest and serve.  


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy! I might swap seafood for chicken as my other half won't eat fish :)

Unknown said...

That could be tasty, let me know how it turns out!